11 Little Known Facts About Data Backup
Cyber Security, In The Know, IT, Tech Tips
If your data is important to your business and you cannot afford to have your operations halted for days – even weeks – due to data loss or corruption, then this post is for you!
We will outline the most commonly made, costly mistakes that most small business owners make with their data backups.
1. The average failure rate of disk and tape drives is 100%
2. Only 34% of companies test their tape backups and, of those who do, 77% have found failures.
3. 60% of companies that lose their data will go out of business within 6 months of the disaster.
4. Over ½ of critical corporate data resides on unprotected PC desktops and laptops.
5. Key causes for data loss are:
- 78% Hardware or system malfunction
- 11% Human error
- 7% Software corruption or program malfunction
- 2% Computer viruses
- 1% Natural disasters
- 1% Other
6. Only 25% of users frequently back up their files, yet 85% of those same users say they are very concerned about losing important digital data.
7. More than 22% said backing up their PCs was on their to-do list, but they seldom do it.
8. 30% of companies report that they still do not have a disaster recovery program in place, and 2 out of 3 feel their data backup and disaster recovery plans have significant vulnerabilities.
9. 1 in 25 notebooks are stolen, broken or destroyed each year.
10. Today’s hard drives store 500 times the data stored on the drives of a decade ago. This increased capacity amplifies the impact of data loss, making mechanical precision more critical.
11. You have a 30% chance of having a corrupted file within a one-year time frame.
If you are worried about your business’s data backup and cyber security, contact our team of IT professionals today!